Purpose of Probation
The Mille Lacs County Probation Office administers probation services for the Seventh Judicial District. Probation means a court-ordered sanction imposed upon an offender as an alternative to jail or in conjunction with a jail sentence. The purpose of probation is to punish the offender, deter further criminal behavior, and provide offenders with the opportunity for rehabilitation.
Mille Lacs County Probation provides supervision for all juvenile offenders, adult misdemeanor and gross misdemeanor offenders.
All Probation Officers with the Mille Lacs County Probation Office monitor both adult and juvenile cases.
Felony Level Adult Cases
For Felony level adult cases, contact the Minnesota Department of Corrections (DOC) at 320-362-7950.
Services provided include, but are not limited to:
- Adult alcohol problem assessments
- Adult domestic abuse assessments
- Adult pre-sentence investigations
- Juvenile diversions
- Juvenile mental health screenings
- Juvenile pre-dispositional reports
- Juvenile work crew
- Preparation of reports and recommendations to the Court including:
- Probation violations
- Progress and discharge reports as required by the Court
- Restitution claims
- Pre-trial supervision
- Supervision of juvenile and adult offenders pursuant to Court Order
Juvenile Work Crew
The Mille Lacs County Probation Office provides the service of a juvenile work crew. The crew works under the direction of our Work Crew Leader approximately two days each month, generally Saturdays, where they accomplish various tasks. Examples of activities include working at state parks and picking up trash on county or township roads.
This community service effort is beneficial to both the juveniles and the community.